10/14/2010

Cook something cool everyday – Meatballs

Since beside of drawing one of my greatest pleasures is to cook. I started helping in the kitchen of a very young age and cooking and eating has always been a big thing in my family.
And it´s not only the actual cooking, it begins with the planning, I love to think about what to cook in the evening, love to read about it and discover new recipes or methods.
The shopping is great, too! Wandering through the stores and choosing the ingredients, being inspired by the season.
The actual cooking for me is total relaxation! It´s like colouring a mandala, all day and work topics fade away while I´m chopping greens and stirring in the pot.


So I thought it could be a great idea to combine my love of drawing and cooking and decided to add a new section to my blog, where I share a doodle and the recipe of what I´ve cooked.
So the first thing I want to share with you is Pasta with meatballs.

The inspiration for this came from lovely Tiina from her goat cheese meatball bake. It sounds so mouthwatering and is so beautifully pictured!
Unfortunately I didn´t have any goat cheese at home and since I´m not a person who sticks to recipes very closely, something quite different came out.

Meatballs with Tomato Sauce

(serves 2-3)

I started with chopping and roasting 2 onions in a little olive oil. Then I added 2 chopped galic cloves and roasted them, too.
Meanwhile I mixed ca. 500 g of ground beef with 2-3 Tablespoons of fresh bread crumbs and the same amount of grated parmesan cheese.

Then I seasoned the mixture with salt & pepper, fresh parsley and, very important, fennel seeds.
When the onions and garlic where beautifully golden, I added half of them to the meat mix. The other half will be used for the sauce.
The best is to mix all the meatball
ingredients with your hands and then form little balls out of it. I made mine a little smaller than Ping Pong balls are.
Now the meatballs where roasted in an extra pan until they where
delicous crispy and brown all around, then I set them aside.
To prepare the sauce I added 2 tablespoons of Tomato Puree and roasted it, too a little bit.
Then everything was deglazed with a good sip of redwine (about 1 glass)
and cooked
until no smell of alcohol remained and don´t forget to add 1 laurel leaf.
 Now it´s time to add some tomatos. You can either use tinned (whole) tomatos of good quality or of course fresh ones. I don´t mind the peel in the sauce so I usually don´t peel them. 
I´d use either 1 small can
or 4-5 chopped fresh tomatos and let everything cook closed for 10-15 minutes. When it comes to the seasoning, I use salt and pepper, some oregano, fennel again and 2 or 3 teespoons of red Pesto, one of my favourite ingredients. When everything tastes fine I add the the meatballs and let them cook closed on low heat for about 8-10 minutes. In that time I cook the noodles, preferably wholegrain ( I love theire nutty flavour) and serve everythingthing covered with freshly grated parmesan cheese. It goes wonderful with a green salad and a glass of red wine.

I know that I´m not very precise, so if any questions occure PLEASE feel free to ask and please excuse my poor english :)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen